JEDDAH TOWER – A GATEWAY TO HOLY MECCA
The skyscraper has become cardinal for vertical expansion for the modern cities. They are now a symbol of the city like Burj Khalifa – Dubai, Shanghai Tower – Shanghai, Petronas Tower – Kuala Lumpur. The innovative and twisted design meets the sheer heights, it produces exotic edifice. The building boom arena has shifted from Western World to the Middle East and East Asia especially China. They have been demonstrating mega-tall elegant structure to showcase the wealth, power, and businesses of the nations. The most ambitious Jeddah Tower project is under construction in the Saudi Arabia. Once it will accomplish, it will surpass the Burj Khalifa of Dubai to become a world’s tallest skyscraper. The structure will be so giant that it will unable to rendering from ground level. The bird-eye view will contain the whole project.
JEDDAH ECONOMIC CITY
Saudi Arabia is going to develop the Jeddah Economic City and The Jeddah tower is the centerpiece of it. The whole project is designed and managed by Kingdom Holding Company of Saudi Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal. He is the richest man in the Middle East. The estimated cost of the entire project is $20 billion and it is developing on approximately 5.2 km2 surface area from 20 km Northern part of the port city Jeddah. The core aim of the project is to attract the businesses and tourism into Saudi Arabia. The City is going to develop in three phases among first is to build Jeddah Tower along with the surrounding buildings while second is to build the world-class infrastructure to support the ultra-modern city and thirds phase has yet to be revealed. HOK (Hellmuth, Obata + Kassabaum) architecture firm is responsible for the urban planning and development of Jeddah Economic City.
“Our vision for Kingdom Tower is one that represents the new spirit of Saudi Arabia,” – Adrian Smith
The Jeddah Tower will be the one-kilometer breath-taking elevations into the Arabian Sky. It will be a bold structure ever created into the history of the world. The iconic Jeddah tower aims to increase the historical importance of Jeddah as the gateway to the holy city of Mecca. The Jeddah tower will comprise residential and commercial space along with a shopping mall and luxury seasons hotels. It will also be featuring the world’s highest 98 feet observatory. The immediate surrounding of the tower is known as a Kingdom Tower water-front district. Kingdom city lake-front will provide the pleasant experience.
“We intend Kingdom Tower to become both an economic engine and a proud symbol of the Kingdom’s economic and cultural stature in the world community,” said Mr. Al Maiman (Executive Director of Kingdom Holding Company), “Kingdom Tower will be a landmark structure that will greatly increase the value of the hundreds of other properties around it in Kingdom City and indeed throughout North Jeddah.”
ASSOCIATED CONSTRUCTION FIRMS
The Kingdom Holding company is a chief investment company for the Jeddah Tower. The Chicago-based architecture firm Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture (AS+GG) has designed the Core part of Jeddah tower. Both the architects Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill are well-known for the development of several supertall energy-efficient skyscraper and supportive evidence of the same is Burj Khalifa. Thornton Tomasetti is providing the structural design services. The core management for the development of the tower is on the hand of Emaar Properties. The construction firm Saudi Binladin Group signed the contract with Kingdom Holding Company to build the tallest tower in the world. Environmental Systems Design, Inc. offers the consultancy regarding electrical, mechanical, fire protection, plumbing, and many other engineering services designs.
THE DESIGN OF JEDDAH TOWER
The design is inspired by the evolvement folded frond of the young desert plant growth. The design of the tower is elegant and cost-efficient. The three tapering wings produce an aerodynamic shape which will reduce the structural load on the ground. The high-performance exterior wall system including low conductivity glass has selected for the exterior of the tower that will manage the indoor and outdoor temperature effects on the building. All the three sides of the Jeddah tower feature the series of notches that create pockets of shadow to prevent the building from direct solar heating. It will also provide the shaded terraces with an astonishing view of Jeddah and the Red Sea. Jeddah Tower will be a great example of a transformation of technology from advanced to cutting edge in construction.
KEY NOTES OF JEDDAH TOWER
- Initially, Jeddah tower was known as a kingdom tower. Its estimated cost is whopping $1.23 billion. It will contain 200 multi purpose floors.
- Once it’s complete, it will be the first structure to achieve the milestone of reaching a one-kilometer height in construction. Jeddah tower will steal the golden crown of world’s tallest skyscraper from Burj Khalifa of Dubai. It will be around 590 meters taller than the Burj Khalifa.
- The estimated completion time is 2019.
- The proposed height of the tower was one mile (1.6 kilometers) but it was not geologically feasible. So, it was revised and newly proposed height is little more than one kilometer. The exact height is not revealed yet.
- Adrian Smith and Gordon Gill are the preliminary designers of the tower who had also designed the Burj Khalifa.At that time, they were associated with the Skidmore, Owings and Merill, a Chicago-based architectural firm.
- For the complex foundation construction, there were installed 1.5m to 1.8m diameters 270 foundation piles up to 200m below the ground level as per requirement along with 5m thick raft for the reinforced steel foundation.
- Jeddah tower will contain 80,000 tons of steel. 1.8 million cubic feet concrete will be used for the construction.
- Most advanced elevator systems must require for the beast like construction. The Jeddah Tower will feature total 59 world’s fastest elevators including, four double deckers and two triple deckers. Each elevator can travel at a speed of 10 meters (30 feet) per second.
- One of the key features of the Jeddah Tower is its world’s highest observatory deck. The projected height the outdoor deck is 634 meter (157th floor) and it will transcend Shanghai tower’s current world’s highest observation deck which is at 561 meters.
CURRENT TOP TEN TALLEST SKYSCRAPER
|1||Burj Khalifa||Dubai||United Arab Emirates||828m|
|3||Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower||Mecca||Saudi Arabia||601m|
|4||Ping An Finance Centre||Shenzen||China||599m|
|5||Lotte World Trade||Seoul||South Korea||555m|
|6||One World Trade Centre||New York||USA||541m|
|7||CTF Finance Centre||Guangzhou||China||530m|
|9||Shanghai World Finance Centre||Shanghai||China||492m|
|10||International Commerce Centre||Hongkong||China||484m|
FUTURE SUPERTALL SKYSCRAPER
The appetite of the supertall skyscraper has been growing since the early 20th century. The verticle expansions are going to be an emerging need for the smart cities. There are several highly ambitious and technologically distinctive projects yet which are either proposed or under construction. Jeddah tower is one of them.
|NO.||SKYSCRAPER||CITY||COUNTRY||HEIGHT||YEAR OF COMPLETION|
|1||Jeddah Tower||Jeddah||Saudi Arabia||1006m||2020|
|2||Azerbaijan Tower||khazar Island||Azerbaijan||1054m||2021|
|3||Dubai Creek Harbour||Dubai||UAE||928m||2021|
|4||Suzhou Zhongnan centre||Suzhou||China||729m||2021|
There are many arguments in and against the favour of the super tall skyscraper. Such structures have to face many challenges in terms of the structure, finance, and economics. Eventually, blending of elegant design and cutting edge technology always inspirational and getting success to grab the attention of the people. Such structure provides the solutions for the urban planning.